Monday 1 March 2010

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Dedwydd!!

Happy St David's Day!!


I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my readers a Happy St David's Day, regardless of whether you are Welsh, English, Irish or whatever!

Today, all across Wales, schools will be having mini-Eisteddfods - I seem to remember singing "Sospan Fach" a song about a "Little Saucepan" on numerous occasions. Getting louder with each verse! Also, today there was a March from Cardiff City Hall, I don't know where it went as I was in university at the time.

I also missed the Royal Welsh on parade in Cardiff over the weekend. The were 'on guard' at Cardiff Castle. And I can't believe I missed it, however I did see a tank being driven down the road in front of Cardiff Castle yesterday. This was quite surreal.

Anyway, back to today's Solemnity, I sang this morning one of my favourite hymns; O Great St David. It was written by a former Archbishop of Cardiff, the Most Rev. Francis Mostyn.

O great Saint David, still we hear thee call us,
Unto a life that knows no fear of death;
Yea, down the ages will thy words enthral us,
Strong, happy words: "Be joyful, keep the faith."

On Cambria's sons stretch out thy hands in blessing;
For our dear land thy help we now implore.
Lead us to God, with humble hearts confessing
Jesus, Lord and king forevermore

Christ was the centre rock of all thy teaching,
God's holy will -- the splendour of its theme.
His grace informed, his love inflamed thy preaching;
Christ's sway on earth, the substance of thy dream.

On Cambria's sons stretch out thy hands in blessing;
For our dear land thy help we now implore.
Lead us to God, with humble hearts confessing
Jesus, Lord and king forevermore.

St David
Pray for us

In Domino

2 comments:

Idle Rambler said...

Sorry, the first chance I had to get to my computer today to wish you a Happy St David's Day.

I hope you had a good celebration.

Catholic Student said...

I indulged in a few "Welsh cakes". Wanted to go to Mass but I had a lecture.

But most people I came across I wished a "Happy St David's Day" so all was well!